Wander (voiced by Kenji Nojima) is the main protagonist of Shadow of the Colossus. Little is known about his past, but at the beginning of the game, he enters the Forbidden Land on his horse, Agro, carrying the body of his lover Mono. Wander is in pursuit of a legend telling of Dormin, a mysterious, disembodied entity, who has the power to revive the dead. Wander's health dwindles for each colossi he kills. Towards the end of the game, he is pale skinned, black veined, and fully horned.
After speaking with Dormin, who requests his services in exchange for the resurrection, Wander agrees to hunt down and slay the sixteen colossi.
Throughout the game, Wander is equipped with a sword, stolen from his order, and a bow with arrows. Agro is his only ally against the colossi.
Default Gameplay Mechanics Edit
- Movement: Left Analogue Stick
- The more pressure you apply to the stick, the faster Wander will move. The direction you move the stick in will control the direction he moves.
- Jump: Δ Button
- To mount Agro, press the Δ Button when standing next to him.
- Interaction with environment: ⚪ Button
- Call Agro: ☓ Button
- Wander's call differs based on the situation:
- Close proximity, outside of battle: Wander calls Agro's name.
- Moderate distance, outside of battle: Wander shouts Agro's name.
- Far distance, outside of battle: Wander whistles.
- Any distance, in battle: Wander will shout.
- Attack: ☐ Button
- Drawing/Sheathing weapon(s):
- The Directional Pad
- Right Button: Next weapon
- Left Button: Previous Weapon
- Up Button: Raise sword to find next destination.
- Down Button: Put away any equipped weapon.
- Grab/Hold on: R1
- Dive roll: R1 + Δ
- Wander's original design had a pair of horns, like Ico. They were removed as permanent articles, but were retained via gradual growth during the game's progression.
- Wander's garb has the Magic Sigil leitmotif also found on Lord Emon's garb and the Colossi's weak points.
- If you jump off a high ledge above water, like Colossus 3's arena, hold R1 and X; you will survive the plunge.
- ↑ Dormin: But heed this, the price you pay may be heavy indeed. / Wander: It doesn't matter.
- ↑ Emon: Have you any idea what you've done?! Not only did you steal the sword and trespass upon this cursed land, you used the forbidden spell as well...